Seeing pictures of cats playing with yarn in my daughter’s books makes my blood pressure go up. I’m not sure how this common theme began, but a cat playing with yarn is a terrible idea. Sure, they may like playing with yarn but it can be very detrimental to their health.
Cats that play with yarn often end up eating some of the yarn. Long strands of ingested yarn can lead to a condition called a linear foreign body. The same idea applies to fishing line, string, ribbon/gift wrap, dental floss, thread, etc. At Christmas, I never even allow ribbon in my house!
When a long strand is ingested by the cat, one side often becomes anchored somewhere in the digestive tract (like under the tongue or in the pylorus). The movement of the intestine continues to move the other end of the strand through. This causes the intestines to bunch up around the strand and may eventually lead to a tear in the intestine. This results in serious and life-threatening peritonitis. The affected cat will need surgery to survive. Sometimes, large pieces of the affected intestine will have to be removed. Trust me, this will be the most expensive piece of yarn you have ever bought. What’s worse is that not all cats will survive, even with aggressive surgery.
Sometimes, a cat will be lucky and a long strand will make it all the way to the anus without any major problems. An owner will often see a small piece of string peeking out of their cat’s butt and then try to pull it out. Although good intentioned, if this string is very long it might cut through the colon as it is pulled out. So, if you do see this, please avoid the urge to pull out the string. Call your vet!
This is the book I read my daughter tonight that caused me to write this post. It’s a very cute book except for this page:
Now I will share my favourite chocolate chip cookie recipe with you. Who doesn’t love a good old chocolate chip cookie? These are very moist and chewy and soft. I really don’t like a hard chocolate chip cookie and I always tend to underbake my cookies slightly. It’s a very simple recipe but one of my favourites. Here is a picture of my giant plate of cookies with a cup of tea 🙂
Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 bag (12 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda; set aside.
4. In the bowl of your standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars together on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
5. Decrease the mixer speed to low and add the salt, vanilla, and eggs, mixing well until thoroughly combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
6. With the mixer speed still on low, add the flour mixture, mixing until combined.
7. Gently fold in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
8. Using a cookie dough scoop or tablespoon, drop the cookie dough in mounds (about a tablespoon’s worth or so) onto the baking sheets, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
9. Bake the cookies, rotating and switching the pans halfway through the baking time (if baking two sheets at a time), until the edges are light brown, about 10 minutes.
10. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and let cool.
Makes about 30-36 cookies